.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

The Foxhole Philosopher

A forum for thoughtful discussion of practical issues facing the military, civil, and political world today. None of the Opinions expressed here are a reflection of United States, her Military, or any other organization other than those of the author.

Name:
Location: Iraq

6.06.2006

What is Hard

Whoever said that the hardest step is the first one, never walked very far.

I am starting to learn what the meaning of hard really is. I know that sometimes that the hardest part is getting started, but at the same time that is because my parents taught me that you should never quit until you are done. As a result, I am one of the people who view tasks like tunnels without doors until you are complete.

There are however, many other people who do not see tasks in the same way. They look at them as options, and to consider the work done as sunk costs. In that way, a more economic way to be sure, tasks can be abandoned at any time.

The reason this is on my mind, is that pretty much every day I don't want to get up. I am not all that tired, usually, and the tasks aren't that pleasant. By the same token, the results aren't that visible, and so it is hard to feel like I am doing anything.

I think that this is why most great undertakings are so easily abandoned. Anything large is going to progress relatively slowly, and therefore it will be discouraging to any participants. However, be it raising a child or fighting a war, the hard things have to get done. Sometimes, we need to just ignore our fears, and our feelings, and do the right thing. That is really hard.

1 Comments:

Blogger Anne Rettenberg LCSW said...

I hope you aren't depressed.

Can you say more about what it is you are doing in Iraq?

7:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home