.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

The Foxhole Philosopher

A forum for thoughtful discussion of practical issues facing the military, civil, and political world today. None of the Opinions expressed here are a reflection of United States, her Military, or any other organization other than those of the author.

Name:
Location: Iraq

6.03.2006

Racism in Iraq

I apologize for not being more regular in my writing but I have been on an exhaustive schedule for last little while. I am back to normal, so I may be able to post more often. This schedule has allowed me to spend more time with the Iraqi's though.


On the one hand this is heartening, because I have see their humanity, which I never really lost track of, but it is always nice to see again. Most of them are just nice people who are doing the best they know how. I also have been able to convince most of them that I really do want things to be good for them.


On the other hand though, I have seen the deep seeded racism that exists in this country. Oddly, the worst is between Sunni and Shi'ite who are both Arab, and neither are really all that religious, not to mention that most have relatives of other sect. In fact, it isn't ever personal that I have seen, it is a fear of organizations. Nevertheless, there is a hatred of groups associated with the other religion that is seemingly unsurmountable.


However, as I talk to them it is also really easy to point out to them how silly their hatreds are. Iraqi's are childlike and teachable in many ways. They also need constant supervision in order to accomplish simple tasks. I suppose that is why working in the community is often like working in an elementary school with guns.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home