.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

The Foxhole Philosopher

A forum for thoughtful discussion of practical issues facing the military, civil, and political world today. None of the Opinions expressed here are a reflection of United States, her Military, or any other organization other than those of the author.

Name:
Location: Iraq

4.27.2006

Discourse and Dialogue

I have been thrilled to receive numerous comments from my latest commentary. I am replying to them and publishing them as quickly as possible. I especially appreciate the people who have written with their support of the soldiers (after all it gives me a warm fuzzy feeling inside). But I very much appreciate those who dissent from my opinions, and want to encourage you to continuel.

I try to not be derisive, or insulting in my commentaries. I think that discourse and dialogue are very important. Not only that, I want to be able to reach as large an audience as possible. I suspect that we, as Americans, often believe the same things, but are approaching it from two different directions. Discourse is the way to discover where we diverge, and work to find either solutions to problems or compromises with which we can live. Otherwise, we end up with perceived (falsely) colossal differences which demagogues tend to exploit.

I will publish any comment that is not vulgar or deliberately insulting. The primary reason I moderate comments is because of bots, and people who try to "spam" Weblog's, so write away, and feel free to link to this Blog. Send me your blog, and as soon as I can figure it out, I will return the favor. Please don't be insulted if it takes me a while to respond or publish you comment, there is a war on.

Thanks for writing, and keep it up. The only way we get better is by challenging each other.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello Mr. Benson,

I'm a senior anthropology student at Williams College who's gathering research for a paper on blogs and the military. Your blog caught my eye as I searched the web and I've been rather impressed by the quality of the discussion/opinion your blog exhibits. I was wondering if you could help me a little bit by providing some background information about yourself (I can't seem to find anything approximating a profile for your blog). Seeing as I will be citing your website in the course of my paper, I feel it would be handy to have some additional information on you. I appologize if the comment system is a clumsy way to communicate, but it was the only one that came to mind.

Thank you for your time.

Geofre Schoradt

6:45 PM  
Blogger David Benson said...

Mr. Schoradt,

I am quite willing to help you. For security reasons I do not keep a public profile, since at times it might jeopardize my own security or more importantly missions. Post your e-mail, and I will write you. I will not publish your e-mail.

I am willing to provide as much assistance as possible, into any academic inquiry. So if anyone else wishes my input, feel free to follow the same procedures. I will try figure out this blog system to stream line it a little.

12:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home