.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

The Foxhole Philosopher

A forum for thoughtful discussion of practical issues facing the military, civil, and political world today. None of the Opinions expressed here are a reflection of United States, her Military, or any other organization other than those of the author.

Name:
Location: Iraq

4.17.2006

Cultural Myopia

In preparing to come to Iraq, I and my fellow soldiers underwent extensive "culteral awareness" training. While this may have raised 'awareness' I don't think that many people are capable of seeing through the lense of another culture. It is sort of like the question "Do I percieve the same color that you percieve when I say blue, or if I could see through you eyes, would the world look different than it does through mine." Culture is the framework through which we judge everything. The only people that I have seen who are even moderately successful at understanding other cultures are also eccentric. That is to say the only people who can somewhat understand other cultures are the people who never really accepted the rules of their own culture.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Abu-Salman...I read all you write in your blog..again the most important thing is that I know you are ok and doing fine.May God bless you and come back safely to the most wonderful country on Earth.please let me know if you need anything from your great homeland ,A very big hug to you my dear son .

1:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home