.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

The Foxhole Philosopher

A forum for thoughtful discussion of practical issues facing the military, civil, and political world today. None of the Opinions expressed here are a reflection of United States, her Military, or any other organization other than those of the author.

Name:
Location: Iraq

6.09.2006

Support for the Troops

I am heartened today for two reasons. The first is actually a comment by Elizabeth, which should be allowed right now on the previous post. I was sincerely touched by her interest in my personal well being. In answer, I am not depressed, and a post on my day to day activities will be forthcoming soon, but I wanted to comment, and thank her for her concern.

The second is the article on support of the troops in America. It is joyful to me to hear that people at home still look at us as individuals responsible on an individual level, and as basically moral people trying to do our best in difficult times. Most soldiers are good people, although all of them have their weaknesses. And I am glad that even though there are bad things that happen here, people realize that, and look at us as people doing our best.

We received a package from some organization that I do not recognize, but they concluded that they hoped to continue to send things to soldiers until "All the soldiers come home." It occured to me that this could very well be an organization opposed to the war, but nevertheless, they are truly supportive of us here. That is great.

Finally, if anyone wonders what they could do to support soldiers, I think the biggest thing is respect them. Not as gods, or saints, because that we surely are not, but as people. And maybe listen to their stories, (I know they are boring, but sometimes they just want to tell them to someone :-))

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

The organization you are talking about is Soldiers Angels. I am a member and we are individuals who are dedicated to ensuring that our military know they are loved and supported during and after their deployment into harms way. We send letters, cards, care packages, and assist all deployed, wounded, and their families to the best of our abilities. And we all do that no matter how we feel personally about the war.
God bless and thank you for your service!
Marian

2:14 AM  
Blogger Anne Rettenberg LCSW said...

Your stories are far from boring.

11:17 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home