.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

The Foxhole Philosopher

A forum for thoughtful discussion of practical issues facing the military, civil, and political world today. None of the Opinions expressed here are a reflection of United States, her Military, or any other organization other than those of the author.

Name:
Location: Iraq

5.01.2006

On Killing

A recent comment about the morality of killing made me realize that I have failed in a goal of mine in the weblog. Namely, that I would bring subtle issues of the military to the “masses.” The comment actually primarily addressed the issue of the level of responsibility that military leaders and soldiers bear in the decision to take a life, at least in my mind. I will treat that in a later post, but I will accept opinions on that in this post as well. However, it is apparent to me that many people do not realize the mechanics of killing someone.

Towards the end of my training, I was talking with another soldier, and the subject came up of things we wish we never knew. I said I wish I never knew how to kill someone. He said everyone knows that, but I replied that while everyone knows the process not everyone knows how. Somewhat like everyone knows the process of kicking a field goal, but not everyone knows how to do it.

A built in mechanism prevents people from taking another persons life. One of three things can overcome that mechanism: extreme emotion, psychological dysfunction, and conditioning. Psychological dysfunction results in socio- or psychopathy, and such people are very dangerous to society. Because being under extreme emotional stress indicates that a person is not a psychopathic threat, jealous rage is considered a mitigating circumstance in law cases. Conditioning is what we do in the military. (There are two books for people who are really interested in topic: On Killing & Men Under Fire)

The military’s conditioning is exclusively reactionary. This means that we are only conditioned to fire when we are threatened. There is a practical reason for this. If you do not condition people to be reactionary, they will: 1) Kill a lot more of your own people, and 2) Not be able to respond quickly when they are threatened, which is much more time sensitive than a pre-planned attack.

What this means in practical terms is that we almost always kill in self defense. There are times when we falsely perceive threats and those are tragedies. However, I know of no instance in my area of operations where a soldier has set out to kill someone (which is what I was talking about with the wrath issue). Even, and especially, the soldiers who talk about it all the time, do not do so. Simply put, there are not many psychopaths in the military. (We have them though, but we do our best to limit the damage that they do, and eliminate them from our ranks as quickly as possible.)

I suspect, as well, that this is usually the case in most militaries. It is even true of the insurgency. When they shoot at us, they often do not even look, just pointing in our general direction and pulling the trigger. This is why casualties are generally quite low, when compared to the number of engagements. (A funny example of what happens when two not well conditioned units come into contact, an Iraqi Army Unit and a terrorist group fought each other for two hours of constant gun fire with no casualties at no more than 50m distance.) I also believe that this is why IED’s are the preferred method of attack. It is no safer than shooting and running away, which was the tactic of guerilla warfare until this time, but it is much less humanizing of your enemy, especially at night.

Bottom line is, American soldiers are not cold-blooded, and usually not even hot-blooded killers. Surprise them, or startle them at your own risk. Threaten them, or shoot at them, and you will have a bad day. But in our raids, most come off without a shot fired, even when it is Saddam Hussein. An operation is truly a success when nobody dies.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi David,
Wow! You have done such a nice job on this site. I enjoyed reading all of your articles very much.
Hope you are staying safe and take care of yourself.
You are always in my prayers.
God Bless you David.
Your friends,
Dottie and Lee Machado

5:57 PM  
Blogger Anne Rettenberg LCSW said...

I think you may have been referring to a comment I made that wasn't posted (?)

You said that soldiers are conditioned to only attack in response to threats. Sure, I believe you that that's how individual soldiers are trained. But to say that a soldier only kills someone who threatens him, after that soldier's army has invaded the country, puts the issue in a different light. Are people resisting an invading army "threatening" soldiers who then are firing back only in "self-defense"? (I'm not necessarily speaking about Iraq, but in general). If that were true, then Russians who shot at invading German soldiers in World War II could and should have been killed by the Nazi soldiers who were, according to your theory, only acting in self-defense! I'm sorry, but you can't claim self-defense when your army was the aggressor!

9:28 PM  
Blogger David Benson said...

I am sorry about the comment not getting published. That was a mistake on my part, with the comment moderation. I had believed that it was published and it should be now.

Ref. Elizabeth, I understand what argument you are making, and actually this speaks to the larger issue of what level of culpability soldiers share in overall decisions. What I am talking about is the personal level. While true that we do not live or opperate in a vacuum, every soldier at his core is an individual.

Actually, your example of the Russian and the German is a good example, because at the same time as Germany was murdering millions so was Russia, such that the Germans were viewed as liberators by the Urkrainians. (Unfortunately for the Urkrainians, the Germans did much to disabuse them of that notion.) Both sides were fighting on behalf of totalitarian governments. Turn that around, and does that mean that the German was more right when the Russians marched (and raped and pillaged) into Germany. The mere fact that the Germans attacked first does not change the fact that while on the whole WWII was a war of Democracy against totalitarianism, it was also the largest war of expansion of the Soviet Empire. That is actually a good article to look at on its own.

However, reduced to each soldier as an individual, I would say that the moral decision of both the Russian and the German (assuming they were both otherwise moral people, and were not motivated in the heart of some other reason, to kill) are equal, and whoever survived was the luckier. They are in a situation not of their making and both trying to survive. The evil of those empires was wrought at a much higher level.

This is where we drift into the argument of what level of culpability and even teh legality of war. I think I will have to post more of this later.

If you are going to ask if I think the same of the insurgents in Iraq, the answer is yes I do. I understand that some of them do not want us here (although as I have said, many are motivated by money) and view themselves as freedom fighters. I, personally, accept it. What I reject is their use of civilians as shields, which they do by hiding in otherwise uninvolved peoples homes, and their targetting of civilians. The death rate amongst civilians is far higher above soldiers. I accept resistance, even armed resistance, but I reject the use of non-combatant people and locations as military objects.

6:36 AM  
Blogger Anne Rettenberg LCSW said...

"They are in a situation not of their making and both trying to survive. The evil of those empires was wrought at a much higher level."

Well, yes. But without those soldiers "trying to survive" evil empires wouldn't be able to do what they do.

Believe it or not, after Sept. 11 I thought about joining the National Guard (although I doubt they would have taken me at 37). I think about that now and it gives me chills. I never would have imagined the U.S. would get in an unprovoked war in Iraq. If I had been in the Army/Guard at that time, I would have seriously considered going to Canada rather than participate in an illegal war. Of course, we have to have a military which means people have to serve. But we cannot trust the current regime in the U.S. That's probably why so many people aren't joining the military now, which shows that people maybe aren't as stupid as I usually think they are.

I believe you and the rest of the troops are trying to do something positive in Iraq, but what I read on these milblogs are the thoughts of people who aren't looking at the big picture. You are at least more open-minded and thoughtful than most. Our government is much worse than most soldiers think...and we will see the worst results down the road, I believe.

2:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home