.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

The Foxhole Philosopher

A forum for thoughtful discussion of practical issues facing the military, civil, and political world today. None of the Opinions expressed here are a reflection of United States, her Military, or any other organization other than those of the author.

Name:
Location: Iraq

4.28.2006

Cheerleading for America

I accept responsibility for this! My post was misunderstood, and that is my failure to communicate. This was compounded by the fact that as it was reposted the links were lost, and therefore my citations with them. Let me clarify what I mean.

I do not mean to criticize higher education, or film, or the media (OK, maybe a little, but not in the way that it is getting rebroadcast). My complaint is not that everyone is not %100 behind the war. We live in a free country, and everyone is free to believe what they want about the war in general, and that means you will never agree with everyone all of the time.

My complaint is that people who are Americans don't publish how great America is! They aren't always negative, although I did reference some negative examples, if the link is preserved. When people watch American movies or go to American colleges they should come away with the idea "Dang what a great country. I want to be like that!" Maybe not everything or all the time of course, I don't want to dilute cultural differences. Nevertheless, they should at least be able to see our virtues. That is all that I am asking.

Like I said, I have no problem fighting when it comes to a fight. All I want is some better movies and a little more supportive academia. Is that too much to ask?

Finally, my real goal of writing here is to improving my writing. All comments are welcome, but especially if you have a comment on writing, such as unsupported statements, non sequiturs, even spelling etc. please comment here, meaning this page. I really will appreciate it.

By the way, I do not think that we are in Iraq because of Sept. 11th. We might not be in Iraq without Sept. 11th, but as near as I can determine, Saddam Hussein had no more to do with Sept. 11th than a Cheesehead does with Brett Favre; he just cheered. And effite is spelled effete, and I am not.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was referred to this blog by a dear friend, Sylvia Benson, a close "friend" of David's and have enjoyed very much the thoughtful comments by David and others. This kind of reasonable/thoughtful stuff helps us all understand what's really going on and thus to change it, or at least cope with it.

I was fortunate to be in the class during the late Cleon Skousen's first lectures on the US Constitution in late 1974 and early '75. I was so inspired by what I was learning that I began to write some stuff that I eventually showed to Cleon. To my surprise he thought it was good enough to publish. I ended up writing a series of articles on the Constitution entitled "A New Message" which were published by the Foundation for Economic Education in 1976, republished by the Rockford College Institute, Rockford, Illinois, and recently published on the web by a good friend, Jack Mason, at Message from the Founding Fathers. Perhaps there may be some thoughts in there that will be interesting to some.

11:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home